Guilty - not us m'Lud
The advice he received was to stop because he was being pursued by police officers.
Now Strathclyde Police have been heavily criticised by the Police Complaints Commissioner who has declared that the stop was not legal.
The police vehicle concerned was unmarked, did not have any visual or audible warning systems and the officers within were not in uniform.
After stopping the car the plain clothed officers went on to question the driver while their cars sat on the hard shoulder of the motorway.
Links to this story
- BBC website http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-17770342
- Manchester Wired http://www.manchesterwired.co.uk/news.php/1423303-Strathclyde-Police-car-pursuit-on-motorway-was-illegal
- Scottish Law Reporter http://scottishlaw.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/strathclyde-police-vehicle-stop-had-no.html
- Daily Record http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2012/04/19/strathclyde-police-blasted-over-high-speed-chase-where-unmarked-car-pursued-scared-driver-for-seven-miles-86908-23830114/
- STV http://local.stv.tv/glasgow/304031-help-999-im-being-followed-by-a-speeding-car-yes-we-know-its-us/
- Evening Times http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/mobile/news/drivers-terror-as-cops-follow-him-for-7-miles.17356993